CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 7, 2011

Niagara Falls

...well not the real Niagara Falls, but probably the closest I will come to something like that anytime soon. I bet your thinking we visited a beautiful waterfall somewhere, well you couldn't be more wrong. Our version of Niagara Falls came from a busted sprinkler pipe in the ceiling of our master bedroom. Yep on snow day #4 right after I posted about how much I was loving spending a snow day with my husband (jinxed myself) I heard running water. I ran towards the kitchen to see why the sink had turned on and saw water pouring out of the ceiling in our master bedroom. Water was coming out of every hole in the wall and ceiling. I'm talking ceiling fan, sprinkler, smoke detector, lights, light switches, thermostat, and windows. I immediately started screaming for Brad and dumping all trash cans to use them to collect water. We started throwing everything out of the room to dry land. The water leaked into the bathroom on the floor (you could have gone swimming in there). It was such a freakin mess. We moved bedding and the mattress out pretty quickly then once the water got turned off we were able to move the furniture out. The water continued to leak for hours and we went to bed with buckets still collecting.

Day 1 Pictures:
 







On Saturday we woke up and first thing first went and checked the room. Most of the places that had been dripping stopped overnight (thank god) but we noticed a new section of the ceiling dripping so we moved buckets underneath that area to collect water.  We talked with the apartment as well as our renters insurance company to discuss our options. We then sat down to eat breakfast and then heard a loud bang. So we went running to our bedroom and part of our ceiling had collapsed along with all of the insulation.

Day 2 Pictures:










So we let the apartment complex know that part of the ceiling came down and went on with our day. It was also the first day nice enough to get out of the house. We ran some errands including a trip to the dry cleaner to drop off our comforter hoping its not ruined. We also ran to Wally world because we were getting low on food and weren't sure what the weather was going to be like this week. We came back and got the apartment organized to live out of our guest room and bath. Saturday night Brad and I had a romantic evening in, which I will post about tomorrow! We went to bed only to be woken up at 2:30 am by another loud bang. So we jumped out of bed to see what the noise was. Sure enough more ceiling came crashing down.

Day 3 Pictures:






It looks so dry and fluffy but it was a big sopping wet mess.




So we went back to sleep or at least Brad did, I was having an anxiety attack that the entire roof was going to cave in on us. It took me about 2 hours to fall back asleep. We woke up Sunday morning and called the apartment once again and let them know what had happened and that we wanted it cleaned up because it was starting to smell. We then went on with our day and headed over to Plano to watch the super bowl with our parents! GO PACKERS!! So glad they won!! Monday morning came and we both woke up to go back to work after a week of no school for me and traveling for Brad. It was a rough morning to say the least. Today I came home at lunch and 3 men were in the apartment finally cleaning everything up!!!! 

Day 4 Pictures:







That was what we came home to after work today. Huge progress to say the least!! We still have to wait till everything dries out but they definitely sped up the process by removing the wet stuff. I was so happy to see that after 4 days of nothing being done we now have progress. Once it is all dry we will get new sheet rock/dry wall put in, all new light fixtures, all new carpet in the bedroom, a carpet cleaning throughout the apartment, new paint, and I am still thinking of things they can add/do, just because of the extreme inconvenience. They said it will be weeks before we can officially move back into our room. So until then its going to be snug in our apartment with all of our furniture in the living room and hallway.

I just realized my blog posts have been super depressing lately with all the sickness and destruction going on. Hopefully they will be more cheery from now on, I mean we can only go up from here right??

Hope your 2011 has been far less complicated than ours!!

4 comments:

Jane

Holy nasty lack-of-ceiling! I am so sorry you guys have had to deal with all that, and right after being sick and travelling. I hope they clean and fix everything ten times better than it was before.
Love,
Jane

kellimoss

That sucks big time! I"m the freaker-outer in our household...someone's got to do it!! Hope they fix it sooner than later :(

Lauren

Gosh, that sucks! I hope they are getting it fixed quick! This will be something you will be laughing about ten years down the road....ok maybe not laughing, but you will definitely never forget it.

Cindy

Oh my! That is so gross and what a complete pain. Post an update because I want to know if they've gotten it all fixed, yet. I'm thinking it should be a rent-free month for you guys!

Post a Comment